Dauntless

Well, I know I already blogged about fear but lately that's one thing I've been struggling with fear and I've been thinking about it a lot so I'm going blog about it again. But this time its a different kind of fear. Last time it was more about sharing the gospel and stepping out of your comfort zone in the social sense. This time its going to be about real fear. Like things that make you want to hide and cry, things that give you nightmares and give you anxiety.

   As I said last time, fear has always been a big problem for me. It's one of those things that the devil knows he can scare me with, and though I hate to admit it, it usually works. But God tell us not to fear because He is with us! Joshua 1:9 says "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid nor dismayed for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." I really like those words, I have that bible verse written inside a picture of a Captain America shield on my door. Because I always see Captain America as a man on courage. He fearlessly steps into battle and he's a natural leader. Also because it reminds me of my shield of faith so that when the enemy tries to throw flaming arrows at me, things that make me afraid, I can have faith in God and He will protect me.

   Now along with the words strong and courageous I want to introduce a new word to you. Dauntless. I came across this word when I was reading the book Divergant by Veronica Roth. The word means to be fearless and determined. In the book, Divergant, people are separated into different factions based on their personality and things like that. The Dauntless is a faction filled with fearless people, they're daredevils and they overcome their fears. My favorite part in the book so far is when this guy, Four (as they call him,) takes the main character Tris into what they called a 'fear landscape.' What happens in this place is you get injected with a serum that connects you to a program so when you walk through the field you see you must face your fears. The only way to stop the simulation is to either beat your fear or calm down enough despite of it. So Four takes Tris into his own landscape and together they face his fears. It is only with Tris that he can overcome them.

   I love that part because it reminds me that we aren't expected to face our fears alone. God is with us and He gives us people to help us with the things that make us afraid. When we feel the most afraid we must remember that we are never alone. If you are afraid, talk to someone. Take them through your own fear landscape; they can help you overcome it.

   Another thing I loved about that book is Four has these fears, he has the lowest amount of fears in the entire factions history, but no matter how many times he goes through his fear landscape he can't seem to get over his fears. Each time he gets afraid. But in one part you are told that on his wall in his house is printed a simple phrase: Fear God Only.

   The word 'fear' in this doesn't mean to actually be afraid of God. It means to have reverence for. I love how he has that phrase on his wall, it reminds him that that's the only fear he should have: Reverence.

   I challenge you this week to be dauntless and fearless. Have little reminders that will help you to remember to not be afraid, like the sign on my door or the bracelet I wear around my wrist. I often write things on my hands or arms that I want to remember. Before I finish this up I want to leave you with a quote that I found interesting.
“To me, Fearless is not the absence of fear. It's not being completely unafraid. To me, Fearless is having fears. Fearless is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death.” -Taylor Swift
    This is a pretty cool quote. Fear is something all people deal with, the only difference is whether or not you let your fear control you. Give your fears to God and leave it up to him.

Comments

Popular Posts