Faith Like A Childs

So I have a blood problem called ITP, so I need to go to the hospital once a week to get my blood checked. I go to the pediatric oncology center to get this blood work done. Well, when I was there this week I was sitting in the waiting room reading when I heard a little girl begin to cry. I looked up to see her run after her mom who was being taken to the doctors office. Her dad grabbed her and told her she couldn't follow her mom. She just screamed and cried by the door.
I felt sorry for the little girl then was about to go back to my reading when I noticed a little boy in the waiting room. He couldn't have been older then 5 or six. I assumed he had cancer, he was bald and sat in a wheel chair with his legs crossed. He sat by his mom and watched T.V.
The little boy looked adorable!
When he looked at me I smiled at him then went back to reading.
Every few minutes I would just look up at the boy and wonder how much he must have been through.
Then I noticed the girl was still crying for her mom, I happened to look up. She was in her dad's arms by the door her mom had walked through. Then I looked toward the boy, and he began to move his wheelchair back, then he moved over to the crying girl.
He stopped his chair right by the dad holding her and lifted up his hand as to give her something. I noticed in his extended hand was a sticker.
The girl just screamed at him. Yet he wouldn't go away. He sat there patiently, waiting for her to take his gift. But she just turned away from him and cried. But he wouldn't leave.
Finally the dad told the boy she didn't want the sticker. But his arm was STILL extended for her.
Soon his mom came over and whispered in his ear and began to push his wheelchair away. But he looked back at her with his arm outreached. The mom took the sticker and gave it to the little girls dad, then pushed him back to watch T.V.
Finally the boy looked satisfied.
As he sat there I watched him. He looked...content. He didn't look upset over his situation, he looked at ease. I couldn't explain to you the gleam in his eyes. They sparkled with bravery and courage.
That made me think. How could I, a girl with a simple blood disease that would probably heal, complain? This little boy had something far worse then me, whatever he had. He was in a wheelchair. I thought about all the times I had complained. Because I have ITP I can't risk getting hurt, so that means so sports. Why am I complaining? I can heal from this, I WILL play sports again! This little boy was in a wheelchair...He wont be able to play sports. Ever.
But even with that he was reaching out to help a little crying girl. He was thinking of someone else.
God really spoke to me at the hospital. There are so many things that that little kid taught me by one little act of kindness.
So to everyone else, your one little act of kindness really has a huge impact! It may not impact the person your being kind to, but it might impact someone who just happened to watch. And it just might teach them something.

Comments

  1. what a wonderful and mature attitude you have, i don't know that i would be so generous in my thoughts if i was in your place. you are in my prayers (i know your mom!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts