Health Update

Wow. It's been a while since I've had to post about my health. Here's a quick recap: last year I was diagnosed with a blood disorder called ITP. (Don't ask me what that stands for because I can't spell it nor pronounce it.) But I have a very low platelet count, which means my blood is very thin so any injury I get can be very dangerous. This was very hard for me because I love playing sports, so I wasn't allowed to participate in many activities for a while. Since my diagnoses my doctor has told me it was chronic and I'll never get better. But me and my mom did some research and some people with ITP (an auto immune problem) are likely to have other problems with their auto immune systems; like Celiacs Disease. ANd many people have found that treating one auto immune problem can help the other as well. So for the past few months I've been going gluten free to see if that helps. My platelet count went way up to 50,000. (My doctor never expected me to get to 20,000...ever.) Though they average person have 120,000 platelets.

   Well finally I went in again today and got it checked. It was weird getting my blood drawn again. I used to do it every week but I haven't done it in so long I found myself a little frightened. So we got the call a few hours later saying that my platelets had dropped to 22,000. I wasn't totally upset because it was still higher than my doctors expectations. In 2 weeks I am scheduled to see the hematologists to talk and what not.

   The other problem I've been facing is I have trouble exercising. I get very short of breath very easily. I thought it was a psychological problem with stress and stuff or that I was just out of shape. But you see, I'm sort of a fitness freak. So I had really been beating myself up about it but no matter how hard I tried to press on, I couldn't. Today I found out that I'm anemic. That means I have an iron deficiency. The lack of iron explains why I've had no energy lately. So I'm actually almost happy about that. I'm very thankful that is wasn't a stress related thing; though I'm sure the stress I've been under has definitely contributed to it, it wasn't the main cause.

   So I'll be on iron pills from now on and I guess we'll have to see what to do about the gluten free stuff. Please just keep me in your prayers and we seek what's best to do in this situation.

   May the Force be with you!

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear about your health problems; that doesn't sound like fun! I'll be praying for you and that God will help you through this. I have asthma and some allergies so I can relate to some degree. Anyway, hope it all turns out okay, and may the Force be with you too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts