On Doubt

   I used to hear a statistic all the time in youth group growing up. They used to tell us that about 70% of kids that grow up in the church lose their faith when they get into college. I remember I would look around the room and imagine my friends not being beside me at church anymore. I would think about what it would be like for them to abandon the faith that we had learned so much about and dedicated so much of our lives to already. I imaged how hurt I would be and how I would try to redeem them. I thought up a lot of scenarios in my head about what would happen if someone I knew stopped calling themselves a Christian. But I never imagined what it would be like if that person was me.

   Maybe that's melodramatic of me. I still go to church; not as frequently as I used to, but I still go. But I'm not as involved. It doesn't feel the same. I don't read my Bible much anymore, but I think of it often, although it's not quite the same. I've been trying to pray again, that's almost been working lately, but it's not like it used to be. When Christians talk it sometimes feels very foreign to me. I've struggled with my place in the church for a long time now. I struggle with feeling like I won't be accepted for all that I am. I struggle with feeling like my doubts are a burden to those around me. Sometimes, I worry that my doubts will consume me.

   I used to attribute 2016 to being the year I realized I was falling away; but looking back on it now, I realized that was only when I was able to acknowledge it. Really, it had begun years before. It's been a long journey. A long, weary, journey. It's exhausting. Lonesome. Frustrating. I can't tell you the amount of times I've mumbled that I want to die just because I would rather die than try to find it in me to sift through the years of trauma, pain, confusion, and conflict that's raging inside of me. I struggle with reconciling my faith that I grew up with alongside what I believe now. I don't know where my pain fits into my theology, or how others suffering does. More than anything, I'm afraid to be wrong. I'm afraid God isn't real and I've wasted my life talking to myself. I'm so scared to die and that to be it. Sometimes I want to die just so the mystery will be over. I just want to know. Tell me what the truth is. It's been a long haul. I feel like I've been here and gotten out of this same hole a million times. But each day I find myself lost in doubt, it feels like the very first time. It feels utterly suffocating.


   No one in youth group ever prepared me to lose my faith. No one told me what it would be like when suddenly all of these concepts that you learned in Sunday school don't make sense anymore. They didn't tell me that the world won't make sense once you've seen enough pain. I was never taught how to deal with prayers that don't work. It's earth shattering. It's devastating. It feels like the foundation you stood on is giving way. I've felt like that for years now. I don't know what to make of the arguments with freewill or predestination or what that looks like in terms of prayer. I don't know how hell works because while it has to exist for God to give us the chance to love him, he must give us the chance to reject him, but at the same time, if the other option is harmful, we can't really give a meaningful "yes." I wrestle with knowing how much faith I need to have in order for it to be enough. I don't know how to reconcile my progressive beliefs with some biblical passages and what I know of God's character. I don't know why God says yes to some of my prayers but says no to other people's. I don't know how much of my life is the product of God's hand and how much of it is the consequences of my own actions.

   Maybe these things are arbitrary to you. But to me, they've kept me awake at night. They've rocked my life for years now. They've changed who I am completely. For a while I stopped calling myself a Christian. I go back and forth with the label. It depends on the day. If people ask me when I "got saved" I ask what they mean by that. It's a process I'm not sure I could ever define. What am I being saved from? Why? I don't know. I don't think of my testimony the way that I used to. I don't think it was that one day when I was 8 years old and seeing demons in the trees. I think of it as how I wrestle with God on a daily basis. I think about all the years I've built up my faith only to tear it down again and start anew.

   I'll be honest, some days I resent most Christians. I see their faith and how it all seems so together. I envy those who know God exists. But when I stop and think about it, I realize how I feel sorry for them. I feel so sorry for people who never had to deconstruct their faith or had to go through the brutal, messy project of tearing their own faith to shreds under a microscope. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks they really have all the answers. I used to think my story was the day I accepted Jesus, but now I'm starting to think of it as the years I've spent pushing away Jesus, and going to find him again. Sometimes it's a bit like tug-of-war. We go back and forth; I pull away, God pulls me right back. Sometimes I want to let go and watch him fall. But at the end of the day, I'm trying to be more okay with the answers I don't know and to fall in love with the beautiful, but messy, process. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

   The ocean of doubt is hard to navigate, but I think it's helped me far more than certainty ever did. Certainty made me stuck up and conceited. It made me think that I had truth and I had power and I was the only who was responsible with giving it to the world. But having doubts made me listen. I didn't know the answers, so I listened to people when they spoke in hopes of hearing the answers there. I didn't just listen to people who look like me; but people from all different walks of life. I just learned to listen. I wasn't always perfect at it, but on the times I did it well, it was rewarding.

   I keep coming to the conclusion that I don't know. I don't know all the weird nuances of my faith but it has to be enough. It has to be enough because if it's all in how much faith you have, I'm sure I'll never have enough. I don't know if I'm a Christian anymore, but I'm done letting that thought scare me. I don't know if hell exists. I don't know how much God is in control. Sometimes I doubt he even exists at all. But I know he's there. Somehow. I know I believe in Jesus. I believe in his radical love and how he did the coolest things on earth. I love how he was a crazy feminist and let women tell the world when he rose on the third day. I love that he let women touch his feet with their hair. I love that all his friends were broke fisherman and tax collectors. He taught so much about loving immigrants and the poor and I think that despite our bastardization of church, it was a great concept. I keep going because despite how much harm the church has caused me, it's been one of the only anchors in my life. Church has been like a really fucked up family to me; we fight, we disagree, we hurt one another, we try again. We love one another. We are there for one another. We support one another. Sometimes I wish it was different; but that wasn't for me to decide. We should always strive to be better, but I think we'll always be a bit messy.


   Sometimes it doesn't make any sense. That's actually most days. Most day I want to scream "fuck it!" Because no one told me it would be easy, but no one told me it would be this damn hard. Sunday school always made it sound so simplistic. But it's not. It's gritty and scary and lonely. But that's okay. Did you get that? It's okay to not know what you believe and it's okay to question everything you were ever taught.

   I've come to the conclusion that people who grow up in the church need to have two faith revelations in their lifetimes; the first is when Jesus becomes real to them and they do the prayer and accept it. The second is when they realize they think everything is bullshit, scrap it all, and find out who Jesus is on their own terms. Sometimes that means leaving the church they grew up in. Sometimes in means reading theologians that disagree with what you were taught. Sometimes, and I would even most times, it's becoming an agnostic for a while. It may takes only months, but sometimes it takes years of wandering before you find a solid ground again. I don't necessarily believe that doubts stop, but I think you become more okay with their presence. They do become less frightening. Over time you start to realize that doubt has more power to shape you and your beliefs than faith ever could. Doubt is natural and good. I don't think Christians talk about that enough. You can bring many questions that border on heresy in the common church; that freaks people out. But don't let it do that to you. Somewhere in the bible it says that you'll find God when you seek him with all your heart. So go into the deep shadows of doubt. Don't shy away from the desert of fear. I think when you do, you'll find out there are other people in there, and many people who went before you as well.

   For me, this realization came when I got connected to the Exvangelical community on Twitter. It sounds artificial, but I mean this. There is a whole community of people that I get to talk to that have gone before me in this process. They've wrestled with my same doubts and fears about God and they've come out alive. Many I disagree with still, but our struggles and research have brought us to different conclusions, and I'm learning to not let that worry me. Faith must evolve in order to survive. Your faith can't be like your parents. It has to be something you choose on your own terms. That often means leaving it.

   I know that was a lot like rambling, but I hope some of it resonated with you. I wish there was a more clear cut conclusion. But there isn't one. Sometimes you just need to go out and find the answers on your own. Everyone has their own journey, but for those of us on the same path at the moment, I hope you felt less alone. This is my little encouragement to speak up about your doubts. There are always going to be people who get worried and question your salvation and think you're wrong. People will always panic when you start to question everything. But hold tight. You're not the first one and you certainly won't be the last.


Comments

  1. Ahh, Faith. I feel like I don't have much to contribute to this topic since I'm a pretty confident + happy agnostic, but I did want to pop down here and say how much I loved reading this <3 you're so eloquent and thoughtful, and this post was beautiful

    Eleanor | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate the comment! It's nice to know that I have readers from a wide range of backgrounds. I love it.
      Thank you also for the sweet words. You're wonderful

      Delete
  2. This all makes sense and I want you to know: I'm a PK. My dad is a pastor and all my life I've lived under his shadow. I've always been "pastor Jay's" daughter. I love it and hate it. I know what you mean about church. I lived there all my life. And I've had to reevaluate my faith -- my whole family has. It's more than the Sunday School answer, it's more than going to church on Sunday.
    I'm sorry you're going through this.
    The other day I asked my sister why I feel more comfortable walking into my job at Panera Bread, why sometimes my boss and managers and the costumers feel more welcoming and accepting of who I am, than some churches I've attended.
    It's wrong that churches does consider more honestly life's questions, that they normally only give sunday school answers. It's wrong that people feel more accepted elsewhere -- anywhere -- but church at times.
    I love your posts. They take me to places of brutal honesty. Sorry for the rambles but it's been on my heart. Keep fighting -- you're only getting stronger. Whether you feel that or not, you are stronger, and your words can help change the church.
    The church isn't always right but that doesn't mean God's wrong as well. How we define the church isn't how He sees it. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Kara Lynn. Thank you so so much for sharing. You weren't rambling at all. I write so that I can get responses. I want to begin a conversation. I love hearing people's stories and I'm so glad I got to hear some of yours.

      I really resonated with what you said, especially about work sometimes seeming to be more accepting of people. I've had that realization so many times. It's hard. But I think we can acknowledge that and work on it at the same time. Baby steps.

      If you ever need someone to rant or ramble to, I'm always here

      Delete
  3. *slow clap* I have been up and down with my faith for years. I've never lost it, but I did question everything. I stopped going to church but lately have wanted to start going again. I relate to almost everything your saying here. I think every Christian or just people in general need to figure out what they believe and stand for and not just recite what Sunday school or their parents taught them. They need to find their own answers. I think we all lose sight of what we're really here for, to follow Jesus's example and point people to him, but it get so lost and convoluted. That we push not only other people away but even other Christians.
    I think God is powerful enough that it doesn't bother him when we wrestle, fight, scream, cry. If anything he would understand it. Faith is not as simple and clean as people want to believe.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree. The process of deconstructing is brutal, but it only makes us better. I'm glad to hear that you've gotten to have your own season of questioning. That's awesome.
      Thank you for the comment! I always appreciate your feedback

      Delete
  4. i wish i could write something that's eloquent--something that will help or give advice somehow--but all that comes to mind is thank you for writing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much <3 that means more than you know

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for this. It's almost as if I wrote this myself. . . I feel every word of this and needed this tonight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faith, I really appreciate this honest view of life, even if it's different from where I am at this time in my relationship with Jesus. We don't have to have all the answers. So often, I come before Jesus declaring, "I believe; help my unbelief!" And yet it's true. When we seek Him with all our heart, He will be found. Despite our weakness, brokenness, fear. I don't deserve Him at all, yet He chooses to love.

    So never give up, girly - you are dearly loved. Keep seeking the Truth. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I relate to this so so much. I’m at the same place you are. I’m just doubting everything. I haven’t gone to church because I’ve had to work on Sundays for the past year and a half and on the Sundays I can I just want to sleep instead of dressing up and surrounding myself with people I’m not completely comfortable around. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts